Oh no! You’re planning to go out and your favourite travel buddy is not starting? Hey! Don’t panic,every flaw is fixable and it’s just a scooter that is not starting. Know that there are a few simple problems that can be solved easily by you without the help of a mechanic.. In this case, in the very beginning, we would suggest you to stay at home and try to fix your scooter all by yourself. Now you would probably have a say that you have never done this before, so how you would do it now. But don’t worry! We got your back! This article has the easiest guideline for you to fix your scooter.
Before starting, we want you to know that sometimes you might just ignore little things that might be reasoning hindrance to your scooter from starting. Some of the reasons can be
- New fuel is available in the tank and holding the left brake lever while pressing start switch
- Quality of engine oil
- No engine oil ( even a small leak will drain whole engine oil in a period of few months ),
- Oil filled more than needed, less oil, dark brown or black coloured engine oil etc.
These are some of the common reasons for trouble in starting.
If there is not any of the mentioned reasons that is causing trouble while starting, you may check three things that a mechanic would have checked and the three things are fuel, engine oil and spark (spark plug). There might be three cases which you need to consider while fixing it.
Three common cases for scooter that won’t start
Here are the cases and step by step guide for you.
Case-1. No compression from the engine
- Do a compression test. But if you are sure about your scooter having no compression, you can avoid this step.
- Having no compression is a major problem. So when you are repairing it yourself, make sure you open the engine head and check for issues. Know that you do not need to remove the engine completely.
Case-2. Engine is acting strange(!)
In this case, your scooter’s engine might start but suddenly shuts off! This case is better than the other two cases. Because in this case, your scooter’s engine is doing well. However , the engine might stop for various reasons.
- Check the spark plug again. If you see any problem, even in colour, repair or replace it.
- Your engine oil has to be in good condition and not too dark in colour. Make sure there is the right amount of engine oil in your scooter engine.
- Check the carburetor. Dirty and clogged carburetor is one of the reasons for this problem. So make sure your carburetor is tuned and cleaned in the right way.
- Check the battery condition. If it is dead replace it.
- Check if the engine compression is right.
- Check for engine spark timing. Also, check the air filter. If needed, clean or replace it.
Case-3. No spark while kick starting
- Check the spark plug. The main reason that is causing no ignition or hampering ignition system, might be the spark plug. Hence, remove the spark plug from your scooter and check it whether it has any problem.
- If your spark has no problem and it’s in a good condition, the next thing that needs to be checked is the battery. Check if the brake light is working. If the brake light is not working, the battery sure is dead. You need to remember one more thing that there are some scooters that start and even run without battery. Check if your scooter is one of those. If it is, then try jump starting it.
- The ignition coil in your scooter is one of the most important parts of your scooter’s ignition system. It provides a good amount of voltage to spark plug. check if that is fine.
- Many low end scooters have a CDI unit which is an important part as well. Know that there are two types of CDI systems; AC CDI and DC CDI.
- Although regular and rectifier are two of the parts that rarely get defective, check them properly. As they are two of the important parts of the ignition system, they need to be in good condition as well.
- Check for starter relay problems. Also, the magnetic coil engine.
Seems too much troubling, right? But scooters are the coolest vehicle in every possible way as they are the most efficient mode of transport for this congested and overcrowded megacity. Hence, this little trouble might seem nothing to you if you love your scooter. So go on and fix your travel companion and don’t forget to thank us later!