In the last few years, the popularity of scooters has been so high. Followed by this, there has been a gradual rise in the recorded number of crashes and accidents. The main reason for the accidents is the lack of safety measures. To have a safe journey by scooter, even if you are going to your local grocery store, a helmet is a must have.
In short, a helmet is the most important piece of gear that you must buy for yourself and your loved ones. So don’t beat around the bush as it is a matter of safety that might cost you only some dollars more. Now you might be wondering which one you should choose as markets now have plenty of options. Well, don’t worry! In this article, we are listing 10 of the best scooter helmets in terms of protection, while also being durable and comfortable.
10 Best Scooter Helmets Reviews
1. Retrospec CM-1 Classic Commuter Helmet
The Retrospec company manufactures this helmet. This helmet is one of those multipurpose helmets that has been tested and approved for so many vehicles! And of course, for scooters as well! The design is so classic. It represents a standard skate helmet. Also, the helmet gives a comfortable experience. Besides, if any kind of crash or collision happens, the special formation ensures safety every time. It makes you feel comfortable and gives you an easeful wearing experience.
- Brand – Retroscape.
- Size – comes in three sizes. Small (51 cm – 55 cm), medium (55 cm – 59 cm) and large (59 cm – 63 cm).
- Multi-sport helmet. Can be used for bike, skate, ski, CPSC 16 CFR Part 1203, STM F2040-11 / ASTM F1446, EN 1077, EN 1078
- Structured with high quality EPS foam.
- It comes with 8 vents in order.
- Colour – Comes in ten different matte colors.
- Age – Riders of age above 14.
- Ensures safety and protects you as the company claims it to be.
- The quality is admirable.
- Might be a little larger for your head if you don’t follow the size chart properly before placing the order.
A U.S. CPSC certified helmet that has strong durability. This safe and comfortable helmet will be a great options for you.
2. JBM Multi-Sport Helmet
If your child is fond of playing various types of sports, then this is one of the best ones for them. This one will prove to be the essential protective gear for many outdoor sport loving people. If you are looking for this helmet for yourself, then don’t worry! This will be a perfectly fitted helmet for you as well. As it has one of the most comfortable adjusting straps, it is flexible enough for an adult to fit into it as well. This helmet would help absorb the impact and protect the head during impact. Having a special aerodynamic design, this helmet helps to reduce sweating and keep staying cool.
- Brand – JBM International
- Size- Comes in three different sizes and an adjustable strap. Small ( 18.1’’-19.7’’), medium (19.7’’- 22.8’’), large( 20.9’’- 23.3’’)
- This helmet is suitable for multi-sport activities such as skateboarding, cycling, roller skating, and definitely for Scooting!
- It has comfortable adjusting strap
- The material of the helmet is tough and durable PVC & PC, EPS foam
- Additionally, it has multiple vents and breathable foam.
- In addition, it lowers the high body temperature caused by frequent body movements.
- Color- Comes in six different colors
- Age- Both kids and adults
- The quality and color variations will not disappoint you.
- Well padded
- Adjustable and comfortable
- There might be a misconception regarding sizes if you don’t measure your head properly.
- No return policy.
This impact resistant helmet comes with adjustable straps that ensure great comfort. We would love to recommend this one.
3. Triple Eight Helmet With Sweatsaver Liner
Here is one of the classics. This one is both for kids and adults as it has an adjustable chin strap. So people of all ages can also use this helmet for their safety purpose. The sweat saver liner it has happens to be moisture-wicking. and it attaches with hook-and-loop tape. It is easily removable, so you can clean or wash it anytime. This helmet is an ideal helmet for a scooter as well as skateboarding, roller skating, and roller derby.
- Brand- Triple Eight
- Size- Available in six sizes: Size XS fits 20. 1–20. 5 inches (51–52 cm), Size S fits 20. 6–21. 3 inches (52–54 cm), Size M fits 21. 4–22 inches (54–56 cm), Size L fits 22. 1–22. 9 inches (56–58 cm),Size XL fits 23–24 inches (58–61 cm)and Size XXL fits 24-25 inches (60–62 cm)
- Color- Comes in ten different colors
- Age- Kids, youth, adult
- Has an adjustable chin strap.
- Also, this classic scooter helmet has a stink-free sweat saver liner.
- This helmet comes with an ABS outer shell.
- Ensures perfect protection
- Comfortable enough
- Quality material
- Might not fit some people properly.
- The adjustable dial might break after a while.
This easily adjustable and durable helmet can be your partner in many sports if you measure your head properly before purchasing it. So, we will definitely recommend this helmet for you.
4. Triple Eight Gotham Dual Certified Helmet
Now, let’s present to you one of the urban-style helmets. This helmet is a dual certified helmet. The Triple Eight Gotham Dual Certified helmet comes with a conehead liner which’s construction has collapsing cones. They absorb energy and spread force sideways within the helmet. All these features make this a multi-sport helmet and, thus, it is an ideal helmet for biking as well as skateboarding, rollerblading, BMX, derby, and commuting. Again, the helmet has an adjustable dial system and chin strap with side release buckle for a custom fit.
- Brand- Triple Eight
- Age- Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and Older and ASTM F-1492 Skate safety standards
- Size- Comes in a good number of sizes. Size XS/S fits 18.9 – 21.3 inches (48– 54 cm), size S/M fits 21.7 – 22.8 inches (55 – 58 cm) and size L/XL 23.2 – 24 inches (59 – 61 cm)
- Colour- Comes in six different colors
- Features a vented ABS shell
- Has a subtle brim.
- It also comes with an impact-absorbing EPS liner.
- Also, this helmet comes with two sets of sweat saver fit pads
- The pads happen to be moisture-wicking.
- Also, these pads are removable and cleanable.
- Fits well
- Adjustable easily
- Ensures protection.
- The shape might bother some people.
This has a special and that is dual purpose along with high visibility. You can keep this one as a wonderful option as it ensures great protection along with some cool features.
5. KAMUGO Kids Adjustable Helmet
If you want to ensure premium protection for your kids, this KAMUGO helmet would be a great choice for you. This offers to be shock-absorbing because of its EPS (Expanded Polystyrene Shell). Along with this, the helmet has a fitted design that will help to reduce the risk of your child getting injured while biking on or off road. It is really hard to find a heavy duty construction helmet as many manufacturers claim to have this quality despite using cheap polycarbonate shells. But this KAMUGO helmet uses quality materials to ensure extreme durability and longevity. However, unlike many helmets, this one fits your child’s head perfectly.
Here is a special mention that, if this helmet doesn’t meet your desired standards, you have the right to ship that back. Yes! You read it right. The manufacturer claims that they want to provide unconditional satisfaction to customers, hence, you can send the product back and get your payment refunded or a replacement if you get disappointed with their product.
- Brand – KAMUGO
- Size – comes with an adjustable harness/wheel ratchet that can be adjusted to fit heads measuring 18.9 – 21.3 inches
- Colour- Comes in Nine different colors.
- This helmet is CPSC certified
- Extreme durability and long lasting.
- Has EPS (Expanded Polystyrene Shell).
- Exchange and refund opportunity.
- Age- 3-8 years old boys and girls (Depending on the kid’s Head Circumference/Size)
- Comfortable fit.
- Easily adjustable.
- No size issues.
- Replaceable and returnable
- Might break after 3-4 weeks usage in some cases.
The helmet is a durable one that ensures perfect comfort for the user. Also, it happens to be lightweight and sturdy that comes with a great value of money.
6. Segway Ninebot Helmet
Here is one of the best helmets for whom safety always comes first. The helmet is newly-released and if you are a travel enthusiast, the Segway Helmet is one of your top choices. Gives you lightweight protection with comfort. Also, the helmet comes with an adjustable spin dial designed for a more accommodating fit. This one also comes with admirable shock absorbance. It disperses impact and keeps your head safe. It has passed positional stability and peripheral vision tests.
This helmet is super easy to use and clean. The moisture-wicking fabric used here provides comfort and cools down all your sweat so fast. Again, Segway Ninebot Helmet is composed of a Polycarbonates (PC) Outer Shell and Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) linear technology to create lightweight protection with comfort.
- Brand – SEGWAY
- Size – Comes in size L/XL (22.8-24.8 inches (58-63 cm)) and size XS (19.7-21.6 inches (50-55 cm))
- Colour – Only One Colour
- Segway Helmet is composed of a Polycarbonates (PC) Outer Shell
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) linear technology
- Admirable shock absorbance.
- Also, Segway Helmet is CE/CPSC certified
- As safe as it claims to be.
- Comfortable enough.
- Ensures a secure fit.
- There might be size issues.
- No color variation as it comes only in one color.
This helmet is a lightweight helmet with a good amount of sturdiness that comes with a great value of money. We can say that this is one of the best helmets to be recommended.
7. MONATA Multi-sport Scooter Helmet
MONATA helmet is another good option for those who run scooters. The helmet can keep you secure and cool even during a hot summer. The helmet is constructed with a high density ABS shell that makes the helmet so durable. This helmet is equipped with microfiber lining and it cares for high comfort on the forehead.
Also, its moisture wicking fabric pulls sweat away from your skin. It has a Self-adjusting Lifestyle Fit system that allows easy and precise adjustment at any time; thanks to an accessible wheel, thus bringing you the comfort of use and maximum security.
- Brand – MONATA
- It is CPSC/CE certified
- It meets CPSC/EN 1078 safety standards.
- The helmet is designed with 11 passive ventilation holes
- Colour – Comes in two different colors
- MONATA Helmet is lined with EPS foam
- Size – Size M : 54-58cm(21.25-22.83 inches); Size M : 360g , Size L : 58-61cm(22.83-24 inches); Size L : 420g
- You will love its features.
- Adjustable strap allows you to adjust it according to your need.
- Comfortable enough.
- Size or shape issues.
This helmet comes with a micro adjust fit system along with EPS Foam Liner that ensures a low profile and comfortable fit. Therefore, this one is worth recommending.
8. BASE CAMP Adult Helmet
If you are a fan of city urban styled helmets, then this BASE CAMP helmet is a great option for you. This helmet is US CPSC standards certified. That means it is going to keep your head safe. Also, it has a built-in detachable rear light (stable and flashy). The battery is a CR2032 battery and you just need to press a button to turn it on or off.
However, it keeps your head cool and helps you to have a comfortable ride. The material of the helmet is EPS+PC and nylon. Also, this BASE CAMP helmet has an adjustable chin strap and rear dial secure system that make it easy fitting and safe.
- Brand – BASE CAMP
- US CPSC standards certified.
- Size – Average size Medium(M). Suitable for most adults head circumference from 21.65 to 23.6 inches(NOT for Extra Large).
- This one comes with 9 vents for air circulation.
- Gives more visibility and safety.
- This has detachable padding that makes it comfier.
- Color- Comes in three different colors
- Ensures safety as it claims
- You won’t face any problem in terms of size and fitting.
- Comfortable enough.
- The foam it uses is of poor quality.
- Rear light might have issues after a while.
A helmet with fabulous fit, extraordinary quality and durability. Also, the rear lights make it more stylish indeed. Hence, we would love to recommend this one for you.
9. Flybar Scooter Helmet
Here’s another multi-sport helmet for your kids. This dual certified, CPSC & ASTM Safety Certified helmet is to give your child proper safety while doing multi-sport activity. We are certain that your child is fond of patterns and colors in his/her helmet and this helmet is never going to disappoint your child as it has a variation of colors and patterns. Also, the twelve stylish vents on each Flybar Helmet provide even airflow to keep cool during active sports sessions.
However, this helmet ensures a perfect and safe fit as a result your child is comfortable and safe at the same time. Also, this helmet comes in various sizes and an adjustable strap. So if you want this for yourself, then you can surely give it a go.
- Brand- Flybar
- Size – Comes in three sizes. S/M (53-55cm/20.8-21.6in), M/L (55-58cm/21.6-22.8in), L/XL (58-61cm/22.8-24in)
- ABS outer shell with either a smooth matte finish or cool pogo themed design.
- A multi sport helmet use like aggressive/trick skateboarding, in-line/roller skating, bicycling, longboarding, & pogoing.
- Padded chin strap for extra comfort.
- Adjustable dial on the back of each helmet to ensure a safe and comfortable fit.
- The helmet features 12 wide vents to keep the air flowing and your head cool.
- Color – Comes in ten different colors
- Replaceable by Flybar
- Comfortable enough with plenty of padding
- Solid, well-made, and durable.
- Dual certified.
- The strap might be too tight to open
A padded lightweight helmet is a requirement of so many people. If you are one of those people, then this will be one of the ideal options for you.
10. XJD Kids Scooter Helmet
This XJD helmet comes with unbeatable impact resistance as it has CPSC CE certification. The PVS and PC used in this helmet make it durable for head protection during multi-sport activity. Having An adjustable spin dial on the back of the helmet makes it a perfect and safely fitted helmet. Also, the removable inner lining allows you to wash it away whenever required.
- Brand- XJD
- The helmet is made of ABS and EPS.
- Size – Fits person with head circumference of 48-54 cm /18.89”-21.26”
- This adopts durable tough shell with a soft liner which helps to absorb external pressure caused by a crash
- Is a multi-sport helmet for Cycling, Skateboarding, BMX biking, Scooter and other Outdoor activities
- Color – Comes in four different colors
- Also, it’s material is durable PVC & PC
- Easy to adjust.
- Comfortable enough and customizable.
- Fits well.
- The quality might disappoint you.
A lightweight, comfortable and durable helmet. This one is one of the great options for kids aged 3 to 8 years.
Scooter Helmet Buying Guide
Learning about so many options with so many pros and cons might have made you think about what you should know before buying a scooter helmet. But hey! Don’t worry! This article has an additional buying guide for you so that it gets easier for you to purchase a perfect scooter helmet.
Know the type of helmet you need
The type of helmet you might need depends on what speed you are going to ride your scooter. Also, it depends on what type of road you are going to ride your scooter on. There are four main types of scooter helmets depending on safety standards.
Firstly, if you are going to ride below 20 MPH, thus in low risk condition, then you need a helmet that meets bicycle safety standards. Bicycle helmets come in many price and style variations. Being the smallest and the lightest helmet, it ensures protection with comfort just you need.
Secondly, If you are going to ride at the same speed of 20 MPH but want better protection, then downhill helmets are the rightmost choice for you. Downhill and BMX-certified helmets are tested to protect your head from damage during a higher impact. In the case of full face helmets, the chin bar also goes under strength test. Thus, it ensures you better safety.
Thirdly, if you are going to ride above 20 MPH or 32 KMH, thus in a higher risk condition, a helmet meeting the Dutch NTA-8776 ebike standard or a motorcycle helmet meeting Snell M-2005, Snell M-2010, or DOT FMVSS-218 ensures you to give the maximum protection. Being heavier than a bicycle and downhill helmets, E-bike and motorcycle helmets might not be so comfortable. But they are certainly going to protect your head in every possible way.
Measure your head
- You must use a measuring tape to measure the circumference/ size of your head.
- Measurement should be done about 1″ (0.5 cm) above your eyebrows for better results.
- You must repeat the measurement procedure a few times to make sure that you’re getting identical results every time.
- Take the help of another person to measure perfectly.
- As the most helmet sizes are specified in centimetres (cm) or inches (in). Convert to cm or in if you’ve measured following any other standard.
You must check the helmet once you receive it to make sure it is compliant. To clarify, if the CPSC certification label is missing or incomplete, then the helmet is non-compliant and you should return it.
If it fits you properly
It is undoubtedly necessary, or perhaps even more important than getting a quality helmet that provides protection in accidental situations, is getting one that fits correctly. A helmet without comfortable and perfect fit will eventually cause you to harm rather than giving you protection
Frequently asked questions
Can you use a bike helmet for a scooter?
The answer is yes, you can. It will give you more protection in every possible way. Also, bike helmets ensure more safety and protection than the scooter helmets as they are made keeping the thought of safety in highways or big roads while biking.
Which helmet is better: open face or full face?
Full face helmets are better if you are riding at a higher speed and with more risk. However, if you are riding below 20 MPH, an open face helmet will hardly cause any harm.
Is it illegal to ride a skateboard without a helmet?
Yes, in some countries, it is illegal to ride a skateboard without a helmet.
Are full face helmets safer?
If you are thinking of riding your scooter on busy roads then the full face helmets will prove to ensure more protection and safety for you.
Scooters have been one of the most essential forms of vehicle in the last few years. Although scooters are meant to give you a safer and more convenient ride than most other vehicles, we cannot also deny that scooter rider are still likely to face accidental situations while driving. That is the reason why caution is important.
So, if you believe that safety is fundamental, then definitely go for a helmet and encourage your kids and friends to wear helmets. Not only for scooters, but helmets are an essential companion also for biking, cycling, skating, and even for riding a moped. So choose your helmets wisely before riding your two-wheeler and enjoy your ride with caution.